Weather Alert: U.S. Embassy in Nicaragua (October 9, 2022)
Location: Managua, Nicaragua
Event: Hurricane Julia is approaching the greater Managua area. Be prepared for heavy rains and winds starting at approximately 12:00 today, October 9, 2022, with hurricane strength gusts at approximately 14:00. Stay indoors and charge your electronic devices in advance of the storm. Continue to monitor the progress of this weather system.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the progress of this weather system because additional watches or warnings could be issued.
- All U.S. citizens should ensure that they have adequate food, water, fuel, and prescription medications on hand at all times as part of their standard emergency preparedness plan.
- For more information or to monitor the development of this system, please visit the National Hurricane Center website at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ , and follow the advice of local authorities as provided on the SINAPRED website: http://www.sinapred.gob.ni/.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Managua, located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fridays. The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACSManagua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171 and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter