Weather Alert: U.S. Embassy in Nicaragua (October 31, 2023)
Event: The National Hurricane Center is tracking the following weather systems:
- Tropical Storm Pilar. According to the National Hurricane Center, Pilar could approach the coast of Nicaragua on October 31and remain through November 1, though the core of the system is expected to remain offshore. Tropical storm conditions are possible along portions of the Pacific coast of Nicaragua, where a Tropical Storm Watch remains in effect. Pilar could cause flash flooding or landslides in affected areas. Roads may become impassible and infrastructure and services throughout the country could be impacted.
- A low-pressure system over the eastern Caribbean Sea. The National Hurricane Center is tracking a low-pressure system thatmay become a tropical depression later this week. This system has the potential to produce heavy rains over portions of Nicaragua towards the end of the week.
Actions to Take:
- All U.S. citizens should ensure that they have adequate food, water, fuel, and prescription medications on hand at all times as part of their standard emergency preparedness plan.
- If possible, avoid driving during heavy rainfall. Flooding may occur quickly even with limited rainfall, and in the worst conditions, moving water can sweep away vehicles.
- For more information or to monitor the development of this system, please visit the National Hurricane Center website at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ and follow the advice of local authorities as provided on the SINAPRED website: http://www.sinapred.gob.ni/.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Managua, located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fridays. The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACSManagua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171 and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter