An official website of the United States government

Services for Lawful Permanent Residents

The Consular Section of the U.S Embassy in Managua provides specific services to Lawful Permanent Residents. Please, carefully review the following links to get detailed information for:

Boarding Foils for Lost/Stolen/Expired/Mutilated Resident Cards (I-551)

Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) whose resident cards have been lost, stolen, or mutilated, and who did not remain outside of the United States for longer than 365 days and wish to return to the United States, will need to gather the documents below and schedule an interview with a consular officer. To schedule an appointment, you must email a copy of form I-131A and USCIS payment to the U.S. Embassy in Nicaragua and create an account through our website USTravelDocs or through our call center 7877-7600 (Nicaragua) or 703-745-5479 (U.S.).

Appointment checklist:

Post Interview:

Following an interview, many cases may require additional processing, which can take up to two (2) weeks. Regretfully, we are unable to affect the processing time.  Once completed you will receive a boarding visa in your passport valid for up to 30 days which will only be good for one entry into the United States.  For more information about this process, please visit this website.


A lawful permanent resident (LPR) or conditional resident (CR) who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence.

Under provisions of immigration law, to qualify for returning resident status, you will need to prove to the consular officer that you:

  1. Had the status of a lawful permanent resident at the time of departure from the United States.
  2. Departed from the United States with the intention of returning and have not abandoned this intention.
  3. Are returning to the United States from a temporary visit abroad and the stay abroad was extended because of reasons beyond your control and for which you were not responsible.

If you meet the requirements and you are in Nicaragua, you need to submit the documentation below.

Note: This process is divided into two parts. In the first part, you will present the requirements below and an interview will be conducted with a consular officer. If your case is approved, you will be provided with the Part II instructions.

Part I

  • DS-117 Form
  • Filing fee of $180.
    The payment is done directly at the Consular Section. This is not refundable if your case is not approved.
  • Valid passport
  • Two photos 2”x2” (recent, white background, no eyewear, ears must be visible)
  • Migratory movement from the Nicaraguan offices of Immigration
  • Residency card
  • Documents that justify your prolonged stay out of the U.S.: Write a letter explaining the reasons of your presence and time spent in Nicaragua and provide supporting documentation for your case.

Examples of supporting documents:

  • Income tax report of the last year – Forms 1040
  • If you work for a north American company abroad, present contract or a letter from the company.
  • Evidence of your properties or bank accounts in the United States.

Schedule your Appointment

Visit our website http://www.ustraveldocs.com  or contact the Call Center 7877-7600. 


Under U.S. immigration regulations, children who meet the following criteria do not need to obtain a visa to immigrate to the United States.

  1. The child born abroad after the issuance of an immigrant visa is accompanying parent within the validity of the parent’s immigrant visa.
  2. The child’s mother was a lawful permanent resident when she gave birth in Nicaragua during a temporary visit.
  3. The child will enter the United States within two years of birth.
  4. The child will be taken to the United States by either parent on that parent’s first return to the United States after the child’s birth.

Generally, the child should present the following information or documents to apply for admission.

  1. Valid Passport
  2. Child’s birth certificate listing both the mother and the father (an English translation if the original document is not in English)
  3. Proof of parent’s permanent resident status (a valid permanent resident card “green card”, or a valid re-entry permit)


8 CFR 211.1(b)(2) specifically authorizes a child who meets these criteria to travel without a visa, and states that an airline will not be fined for allowing such a child to travel to the United States.

If you or your child does not meet all these criteria, you will need to file an I-130 petition for your child with USCIS. For more information on petition I-130 visit: Petition for Alien Relative | USCIS


Aliens who want to freely, voluntarily, and affirmatively abandon their Legal Permanent Resident status can submit Form I-407 and form Form I-551 via:

  • by mail

U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
P.O Box 567
Williston, VT 05495

FedEx, UPS, DHL, or other express/registered deliveries:
USCIS Eastern Forms Center
Attn: I-407 Unit
124 Leroy Road
Williston, VT 05495

  • to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry

For more information regarding this process, you can visit the USCIS web page: https://www.uscis.gov/i-407