An official website of the United States government

U.S. Visa Services
Visit the United States

Update on Change to U.S. Travel Policy Requiring COVID-19 Vaccination for nonimmigrant travel

Starting May 12, noncitizen nonimmigrant air passengers will no longer need to show proof of being fully vaccinated with an accepted COVID-19 vaccine to board a flight to the United States. Read the White House Statement.

Nonimmigrant Visa Application (NIV) Processing Fees

Effective June 17, 2023, The Department of State will increased certain nonimmigrant visa application (NIV) processing fees and the Border Crossing Card (BCC) for Mexican citizens aged 15 and over. Applicants who booked appointments prior to the change in prices will not pay any additional costs.

The fee for visitor visas for business or tourism (B1/B2s and BCCs) and other non-petition based NIVs, such as student and exchange visitor visas, will increase from $160 to $185. The fee for certain petition-based nonimmigrant visas for temporary workers (H, L, O, P, Q, and R categories) will increase from $190 to $205. The fee for a treaty trader, treaty investor, and treaty applicants in a specialty occupation (E category) will increase from $205 to $315. Other consular fees are not affected by this rule.

The United States Embassy in Nicaragua has resumed all routine visa services at this time. However, due to demand, the wait time for an appointment may be significant. Complete notice on routine visa services.

What is a Visa?

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport.

Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program, which is administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).  The Visa section of this website is about U.S. visas for foreign citizens and nationals to travel to the United States. Visit Travel.State.gov for additional information.

Note: U.S. citizens do not need a U.S. visa for travel to the United States. When planning travel abroad a U.S. citizen may need a visa issued by the embassy or consulate of the country they wish to visit.

What Type of Visa Do You Need?

For short-term visits to the United States (for tourism, business, education, and more), you can go directly to the online application (form DS-160). For immigrant visas,  which are issued to foreign nationals who intend to live and work permanently in the United States, you can visit the U.S. citizenship and Immigration Services site for the relevant forms.  If you are unsure what type of visa you need, please use the Visa Wizard below.

Nonimmigrant Visas

Nonimmigrant visas are for foreign nationals wishing to enter the United States on a temporary basis – for tourism, medical treatment, business, temporary work, study, or other similar reasons.

Immigrant Visas

Immigrant visas are issued to foreign nationals who intend to live permanently in the United States.

U.S. Embassy in Managua
The map below shows where we provide consular services.

U.S. Embassy in Managua

Colorado Sand Dunes