Event: As of March 25, 2020, AeroMexico is the only international carrier serving Nicaragua that has not announced plans to suspend service. AeroMexico does not have direct flights to the United States from Nicaragua, but does fly five times per week from Managua to Mexico City with connecting service to Miami, Florida and other U.S. cities. There is confirmed seat availability on outbound AeroMexico flights through April 7, 2020.
Other international airlines have suspended service to/from Managua or will soon do so:
- Spirit Airlines and Copa Airlines suspended their operations March 24, 2020
- American Airlines will suspend service beginning March 27, 2020
- Avianca and Delta Airlines will suspend service after their last flights on March 28, 2020
- United Airlines will suspend service after its last flight on March 31, 2020
U.S. citizens planning to leave Nicaragua should contact the airlines operating out of Nicaragua directly for updates on flight cancellations and suspension of services. Airline contact information is available on the Managua airport website: https://www.eaai.com.ni/en/aerolines-internationals
Call centers may have long wait times so airline websites may be the most convenient method for making reservations. U.S. citizens in Managua should also consider going directly to Managua International Airport to purchase tickets.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19 recommending that U.S. citizens who reside in the United States arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
Actions to Take:
Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 and what you can do to reduce your risk.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis pageon travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding impacts to travel.
- Check with your airline, cruise line, or travel operator regularly for updated information about your travel plans and, or, restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 (https://ni.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/) for information on conditions in Nicaragua.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.