Passports FAQs

You may find downloadable forms and passport renewal requirements on the Department of State’s travel website.

Both parents and the child must appear in person at the U.S. Embassy to renew the passport of a child under the age of 16. For a list of documents to prepare and more information, including what to do if either parent is unable to appear in person, please see the information here.

Passports are printed in the United States and usually take two weeks. We do not provide expedited service.   Note: In the case of life and death emergencies, the U.S. Embassy can issue an emergency passport with a validity of up to one year. Documentation about the emergency and copies of your tickets are necessary for this service.

Three reasons:

  • The passport is proof of American citizenship. Every American abroad should have valid proof of his/her citizenship at all times.
  • Life is unpredictable. You never know when you may need to travel suddenly to the United States. The last thing you need to do in an emergency is worry about getting to the Embassy to get your or your passport renewed. It is much better to do it when it is convenient for you.
  • A valid passport is required for many Nicaraguan administrative purposes and you do not want to get caught with an expired passport if you need to process an application for some benefit.

If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen while you are in Nicaragua, contact the Embassy when you are ready to apply for your passport. Bring one passport photo (2” x 2” with a white background), the required passport application fee, and a copy of the lost passport ID page or any government issued photo ID you may have. If you have immediate travel plans, bring a copy of your itinerary or e-ticket. For more information please visit our website.

Yes, you do not have to wait for your passport to expire before applying for a renewal passport. Your passport may be renewed at any time that is convenient for you.

No, we will return your passport to you after your interview. When you apply for your new passport, we will cancel your old passport and return it to you.

If you would like to have a family member or trusted friend pick up your new passport, please give them a signed letter authorizing them to perform this service for you.

As part of our efforts to provide better customer service to U.S. citizens in Nicaragua, and reduce the number of trips to the Embassy to obtain a Passport, the U.S. Embassy now offers home passport delivery service through CAEX LOGISTICS. The current cost of the delivery service is $12 USD for passport delivery in Managua, $14 USD for delivery throughout all departments, $17 USD for Bluefields and Puerto Cabezas, and $29 for Corn Islands.

You should disregard the instructions on the passport forms as they refer specifically to passport applications processed in the United States. You should follow the instructions on this website.

The fees vary depending on the service you are applying for, and accepted payment methods include U.S. Dollars, Nicaraguan Cordobas and major credit cards. Please refer to the individual instructions for your specific passport service.

An application for a full-validity (ten years for adults; five years for children under age 16) will be sent to the United States for printing with a secure, photo-digitized image of the bearer. Therefore, you should allow 15 working days for your application to be processed.

Emergency passports can be issued from three months to a maximum of one year.

Your passport may be used for travel to and from the United States within the validity date displayed on the passport. Certain countries may demand that your passport is valid for longer than 6 months. Please see and Consular Information Sheets [under International Travel] to find out each country’s entry requirements.

No. You are required to furnish the originals or copies certified by the issuing authorities bearing the official’s seal and signature. Photocopies certified by a Clerk of Court, Justice of the Peace, solicitor, or notary public is not acceptable.

You may obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate from the state in which you were born. The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states’ contact information for this purpose.

If you were born abroad, your parents should have registered your birth at a U.S. Embassy or consulate and received a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240. This form is acceptable legal proof of birth and U.S. citizenship. To request a Certification of Report of Birth or learn more about birth records for U.S. citizens and nationals born abroad.

You may obtain a certified copy of these certificates from the state in which the event occurred. The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states’ contact information for this purpose.

All applications, including passport renewals, must be accompanied by two photographs that meet the Specified requirements. The instructions for your specific passport service will give you more information. The Embassy will reject any photograph that does not meet our requirements.

Yes, even babies require photographs if you are making an initial application for a passport, renewing their passport, or replacing a lost or stolen passport.

Photo requirements are the same for all applicants. In the case of very young babies the head may be supported as long as the baby’s face is clear. It is acceptable if the infant’s eyes (particularly a newborn’s) are not, or are not entirely, open.

Provided the photographs meet the specified requirements for U.S. passports, any photographer may take them. We do maintain a list (PDF 103 KB) of places in Nicaragua who are familiar with our requirements and have produced acceptable photos in the past, but cannot recommend any specific photographer, or assume any responsibility for their efficiency, integrity, or reliability. You may wish to take our photo instruction sheet with you to the studio to ensure that your photographer is adhering to our requirements.