Passport Services

Non-emergency passport services are available by appointment only Monday through Thursday, between 1:00 and 3:00 PM. The embassy is closed on Nicaraguan and U.S. holidays.

For more information about how to access the Consular Section click here.

There are three simple steps to apply for or renew a U.S. Passport or Passport Card.

  1. Visit the State Department’s Passport Website to determine which application form you need to complete (DS-11 or DS-82) and which documents are required.
  2. Make an appointment by clicking here.
  3. Come to the Embassy 30 minutes prior your appointment with your application, required documents, and two 2″ x 2″ photos to allow time for security screening. A photographer is available at the Embassy Monday to Friday from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm, except the last Friday of every month. The fee for this service is $7 (seven dollars) for two photos.

For more information about how to access the Consular Section click here.

Passport Application Payment and Delivery Time

  • If you are submitting a DS-82 to renew a passport, the fee is $110 USD
  • If you are submitting a DS-11 for a minor, the fee is $115 USD
  • If you are submitting a DS-11 for an adult, the fee is $145 USD

Passport fees are paid at the Embassy to the Consular Cashier, cash (in Cordobas or dollars but not a combination of both currencies) and credit cards are accepted.

Effective April 2, 2018, the passport execution fee increased from $25 to $35.  The $10 execution fee increase only applies to U.S. passport applicants using the DS-11 form, such as first-time applicants over 16, children under 16, and applicants who re-apply after reporting their previous passport lost or stolen. For additional information please visit

Passport Delivery Service

As part of our efforts to provide better customer service to U.S. citizens in Nicaragua, and reduce the number of trips to the Embassy to obtain a Passport, the U.S. Embassy now offers home passport delivery service through CAEX LOGISTICS.

Starting February 1, 2016, use of this service will be required for all non-emergency applications.

The current cost of the delivery service is $12 USD for passport delivery in Managua, $14 USD for delivery throughout all departments, $17 USD for Bluefields and Puerto Cabezas, and $29 for Corn Islands.

For those who present a valid passport for renewal, consular staff will cancel that passport by punching holes in it and provide you with an official letter that explains we have approved your replacement passport and it is on the way, should you encounter police or immigration authorities.

Please bring exact change.  Payment will be made to a Caex Logistics representative in the waiting room immediately after a consular officer has approved a U.S. passport or CRBA.

For questions, send an email to:

Replacing a Lost/Stolen/Mutilated Passport

All applicants whose passports have been lost, stolen or mutilated must apply in person.
Passports can only be replaced during working hours.  For working hours, directions and contact information, please click here. The U.S. Embassy is closed on both U.S. and Nicaraguan holidays.

Emergency passports issued abroad are valid for no more than 12 months (and may be issued with much shorter periods of validity), and must be replaced by a full-validity passport printed in the United States.  You must return the limited validity emergency passport to obtain a full validity (5 or 10 years validity) passport.

Processing a replacement passport may be longer than normal, if, for example, you have shown a pattern of multiple losses or cannot clearly establish a claim to U.S. citizenship. You should not make any unchangeable travel plans until we are able to hand you your new passport.

Here’s What You’ll Need

To replace a lost, stolen or mutilated passport, you will generally need to present evidence of your identity and your U.S. citizenship, particularly if your passport was issued more than ten years ago. You will also need a police report, fee, photo and an application form.

  • Proof of Your Identity

    Identity can be established through a government-issued photo ID document. These include but are not limited to a driver’s license, U.S. state ID, expired passport and/or Military ID.
  • Proof of Your Citizenship

    Citizenship is established through an official U.S. birth certificate, U.S. naturalization or citizenship certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or an expired U.S. passport.

  • Police Report

    To replace your lost or stolen passport, you should submit a police report documenting the circumstances surrounding the loss or theft.

  • Affidavit

    You must also submit a detailed affidavit of the circumstances surrounding the loss or theft. Here is the form to use, available for download: DS-64 (PDF 51 KB). Please do not sign the affidavit — you will need to sign it at the Embassy when you apply in person for a new passport.  (You will need to use the latest version of free Acrobat software to view and print this form. You can download the software.)
  • Minors

    Applicants under the age of 16 must meet the requirements of the Law on Passport Applications for Minors.

  • Application Form

    Please submit one copy of Form DS-11, available for download (forms are also available for pick-up in our office).  (You will need to use the latest version of free Acrobat software to view and print this form. You can download the software.)

  • One Photo

    The photo must be sized 2″ X 2″ (or 5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. Click here for photo specifications.

The best way to make sure your photos are the right size is to download and print out a passport application (see above). The drawing of a proper photo is right on the application form.


The fee to replace a lost or stolen passport is $145 for adults and $115 for those age 16 or younger.
We accept U.S. dollars, credit cards, Nicaraguan cordobas and debit cards.

Under Section 51.70 (a) (8) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations, a passport, except for direct return to the United States, will not be issued in any case in which the applicant has been certified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services as notified by a state agency to be in arrears of child support in an amount exceeding $2,500.00.  For more information, click here.

Your passport will be revoked if you fall under this regulation, including when you apply for additional pages, seek a renewal or process a Report of Birth application.

Under Section 32101 of Public Law 114-94 (PDF 1 MB) signed by President Obama on December 4, 2015, the State Department shall not issue a U.S. passport to any individual certified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as having a seriously delinquent tax debt.  The State Department also may revoke any U.S. passport issued to a person certified by the IRS as having a seriously delinquent tax debt.  A seriously delinquent tax debt is defined as greater than $50,000.

U.S. citizens overseas who have their U.S. passport applications denied or U.S. passports revoked on this basis are eligible for a limited U.S. passport valid only for direct return to the United States.  Revocation of a U.S. passport does not affect the bearer’s U.S. citizenship.

U.S. Embassy Managua does not have a taxpayer assistance specialist on staff and we are unable to answer questions about individual tax issues; persons requiring taxpayer assistance or information should contact the Internal Revenue Service directly.