Location: Throughout Nicaragua
Event: Civil unrest throughout Nicaragua continues to affect U.S. Embassy operations and hours. Until further notice:
All routine American citizen services (U.S. passports, reports of births abroad, notarials, etc.) are available now by appointment only at https://evisaforms.state.gov.
American citizens needing emergency U.S. travel documents (for imminent travel only) may visit the Embassy between 7:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.
Visa operations have resumed but remain very limited. If your non-immigrant visa appointment was cancelled, you can reschedule a new appointment by contacting the call center at 7877-7600 or visiting http://www.ustraveldocs.com.
Travel by U.S. government personnel within Nicaragua is restricted to Managua only and to the hours between 5:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., with restrictions on driving on Carretera Masaya North from Rotunda Centroamerica and near all universities other than between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.
Actions to Take:
- If you are safe, please inform your family and friends in the United States. The Embassy is receiving a high number of calls regarding people’s welfare.
- If you feel unsafe, make personal arrangements to leave the country; commercial flights are available. There are no plans for a U.S.-government assisted evacuation.
- Except in an emergency or to depart the country, restrict travel and remain in your homes as long as the area in which you live is impacted by demonstrations and you feel safe in your home.
- Maintain adequate supplies of food, potable water, and fuel if sheltering in place.
- Move to a safer location if demonstrations are nearing your area and you can safely move.
- Monitor local media for updates on the security situation in your area.
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests, and do not attempt to drive through any large groups and/or barricades encountered on the street.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Managua, Nicaragua
(+505)-2252-7100 (for absolute emergencies only)
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
# # #