Location: Managua, Countrywide
Event: Due to recent policy announcements, U.S. Embassy personnel and temporary duty visitors require special permission to travel outside of their residential neighborhoods and hotels for the next 72 hours. Embassy personnel are not permitted to travel outside of Managua during this period. The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that demonstrations may occur in Managua or elsewhere in Nicaragua with little or no notice. Please monitor local media for updates and remember that violence may break out at any demonstration.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations and leave the area immediately if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not participate in demonstrations. Foreigners, including U.S.-Nicaraguan dual nationals, risk arrest or expulsion if they participate in protests.
- Do not attempt to drive through large groups or barricades encountered on the street.
- Monitor local media for updates. Radio Corporación and Channel 10 can provide the most updated news. Online media, including La Prensa, Confidencial, Articulo 66, and La Mesa Redonda, are useful resources.
- Please note the Department of State has issued a Travel Advisory urging U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Nicaragua due to civil unrest, violent crime, and limited healthcare availability.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
- The U.S. Embassy in Managua is located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur in Managua, Nicaragua. The consular section’s operating hours are 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Friday, except for published holidays and announced closures.
- You may contact the American Citizen Services unit in the Embassy’s consular section by calling +505-2252-7104 or emailing ACSManagua@state.gov during regular business hours. For after-hours emergencies involving a U.S. citizen, please call +505-2252-7171 and ask to speak to the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Please note that the consular section will be closed to public Friday, March 6, 2020.
- To reach the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services, you may call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free from a U.S. phone line or 001-202-501-4444 from a Nicaraguan phone between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays) Nicaragua Country Information.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.