Legation Raised to Embassy, 1942.
The Legation at Managua was raised to an Embassy on March 27, 1943, when U.S. Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to Nicaragua James B. Stewart was promoted to Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary.
Diplomatic Relations Severed by the United States, 1947.
On May 25-26, 1947, former President Anastasio Somoza García seized control of the country from President Leonardo Argüello Barreto. When Nicaraguan Ambassador to the United States, Guillermo Sevilla Sacasa called at the U.S. Department of State on June 5 he was received in his private capacity and informed that the U.S. Government “would not be disposed to enter into official relations with the regime then in power in Nicaragua.”
Diplomatic Relations Reestablished, 1948.
Víctor Manuel Román y Reyes was elected on August 15, 1947. He was the fourth Head of State within 6 months. The U.S. State Department cited a resolution of the Ninth Inter-American Conference that underscored the desirability of continuity of diplomatic relations among the American republics and announced, on May 6, 1948, that the U.S. government was prepared to appoint a new Ambassador to Nicaragua. George P. Shaw, U.S. Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, presented his credentials on September 1, 1948.
Ambassadors Expelled, 1988.
On July 11, 1988 the Nicaraguan Government expelled the American Ambassador to Nicaragua, Richard Melton, along with seven other members of the American Embassy at Managua. The Sandinista Government decried U.S. support of the opposition. The following day President Ronald Reagan ordered the departure of the Nicaraguan Ambassador to the United States, Dr. Carlos Tunnerman, and seven other Nicaraguan Embassy members for abusing their privileges of residence. The American Embassy in Managua remained open under Ronald D. Godard as Chargé d’Affaires ad interim.
Ambassadorial Relations Resumed, 1990.
Harry W. Shlaudeman presented his credentials as U.S. Ambassador to Nicaragua on June 21, 1990.