Location: Throughout the country
Event: The National Hurricane Center is tracking the development of a tropical storm forming in the southern Caribbean Sea that could strike Nicaragua. This event is projected to bring heavy rain to Nicaragua starting on Friday, July 1 and continuing through the weekend. The weather system could cause floods or landslides in affected areas particularly in light of recent heavy rain throughout the country.
ACTIONS TO TAKE:
- Monitor the progress of this weather system because additional watches or warnings could be issued.
- All U.S. citizens should ensure that they have adequate food, water, fuel, and prescription medications on hand at all times as part of their standard emergency preparedness plan.
- For more information or to monitor the development of this system, please visit the National Hurricane Center website at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/, and follow the advice of local authorities as provided on the SINAPRED website: http://www.sinapred.gob.ni/.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Managua, located atKm 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fridays. The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACSManagua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebookand Twitter