Holiday Security Reminder
December 2, 2022
Event: Holiday Security Reminder
Throughout the world, including in Nicaragua, the holiday season traditionally brings with it a spike in crime as celebrations, the paying of holiday bonuses, and activities around commercial areas and homes increase. As these conditions provide ample opportunity for criminal elements to commit crimes of opportunity, we remind U.S. citizens to remain vigilant regarding their personal security. Please see below for security best practices this holiday season.
Personal Security Suggestions
- Keep a low personal profile and avoid ostentatious displays of wealth.
- Always be alert to your surroundings.
- Avoid dark and/or deserted areas.
- Avoid public disputes with local citizens.
- Avoid walking after dark.
- Do not carry large sums of money.
- Keep your cell phone password protected.
- Do not wear headphones/earbuds while running/biking on the street.
- Ensure your cell phone is always charged and programmed with emergency phone numbers.
Residential Security Recommendations
- Ensure that all perimeter/yard lighting is functional.
- Close and lock all doors, windows, and gates when leaving your residence unoccupied.
- Allow access only to authorized and/or expected persons.
- Maintain control of all residential keys.
Vehicle Related Security Precautions
- Always drive with your windows closed and your doors locked.
- Keep vehicles well maintained and equipped with a jack and spare tire.
- Remain vigilant to road conditions and surroundings.
- Pre-plan routes and include an alternate route when traveling.
- Know your location. Use GPS coordinates when describing your location or familiarize yourself with the use of the ‘pin drop.’
- Drive defensively.
- Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle ahead of you to allow space for maneuvering.
- Routinely check side/rear view mirrors.
- Never leave residential address information and/or valuables in the vehicle.
- Park in well-lit areas near the entrance to locations or in the vicinity of guards.
- Be alert for suspicious persons when exiting or approaching your vehicle.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Managua, located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fridays. The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACSManagua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171 and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter