Event: On March 26, Nicaragua’s Health Ministry confirmed Nicaragua’s first death due to COVID-19. The Nicaraguan government has yet to impose any travel restrictions or national quarantine policies.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Travel Advisory for COVID-19. The Embassy strongly encourages U.S. citizen travelers to advance their departure plans from Nicaragua before the Nicaraguan health system becomes overwhelmed and flights become unavailable.
U.S. citizens who wish to leave Nicaragua should contact airlines directly at the following link while commercial flights remain available: https://www.eaai.com.ni/en/aerolines-internationals
The Embassy is working with airlines to gauge demand for either additional commercial flights or U.S. government-organized flights if no commercial flights are available. If you are a U.S. citizen interested in being added to a list for any potential U.S. government-organized flight, please submit this online form. If you are unable to complete the online form, please email the Embassy at ACSManagua@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- · Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding impacts to travel.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nicaragua.
- Monitor local and U.S. sources of news for updates, and Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.