Event: The Embassy has advised personnel of potential traffic disruption and strong police presence on April 18 and 19, particularly at traffic circles, Metrocentro, Galerias, Camino de Oriente malls, the parking lots of Edificio BAC and LAFISE Bank on Masaya Highway, the area surrounding UCA, the Holiday Inn Convention Center parking lot, and the second entrance to Las Colinas. There is likely to be a large police presence in the area surrounding Plaza Las Victorias. Demonstrations may occur in Managua or elsewhere in Nicaragua with little or no notice. Please monitor local media for updates and remember that violence may break out at any demonstration.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations and leave the area immediately if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not participate in demonstrations. Foreigners, including U.S.-Nicaraguan dual nationals, risk arrest or expulsion if they participate in protests.
- Do not attempt to drive through large groups or barricades encountered on the street.
- Monitor local media for updates. Radio Corporacion and Channel 10 can provide the most updated news. Online media including Confidencial, Articulo 66, and La Mesa Redonda are also useful resources.
- Please note the Department of State has issued a Travel Advisory urging U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Nicaragua due to limited healthcare availability and arbitrary enforcement of laws.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Managua, located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fridays. The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACSManagua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171 and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter