Location: Multiple locations throughout Nicaragua; especially around rotundas and universities in major cities.
Event: Demonstrations continue in response to a recent policy change regarding the Nicaraguan Social Security Institute (INSS). Demonstrations at various locations on April 18 and 19, 2018 involved violence. Locations and times of upcoming demonstrations may change last minute and may impact traffic in these areas. Due to anticipated traffic disturbances today, April 19, 2018, the U.S. Embassy in Managua will be closed to the public starting at 1:00 p.m. and limited to emergency consular services only. Regular appointments will be rescheduled as quickly as possible.
Actions to Take:
• Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
• Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests, and do not attempt to drive through any large groups and/or barricades encountered on the street.
• Monitor local media for updates.
• Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Managua, Nicaragua
(+505)-2252-7100 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444