ALERT: Updated Entry Requirements for Nicaragua
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes. Fully vaccinated travelers must bring proof of vaccination. Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated travelers must present a negative RT-PCR COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to entry into Nicaragua.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes, a negative PCR test is required unless the passenger can provide proof that they have been fully vaccinated prior to entry into Nicaragua.
- When arriving from a country with known yellow fever risk, one must demonstrate vaccination against yellow fever at least 10 days prior to entering zone of risk.
Entry Requirements for fully vaccinated travelers:
Effective June 16, 2022, travelers arriving in Nicaragua must present a digital or physical full COVID vaccination certificate, showing that they received all required doses of a COVID vaccine approved by the WHO or registered in Nicaragua: Sputnik V, Sputnik Light, Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Covishield, Soberana 02, Abdala, Janssen from Johnson & Johnson, Sinopharm, and Coviran.
The government of Nicaragua will consider a traveler to be fully vaccinated when they have received at least two doses, including a mix of two different accepted vaccines, with the exception of Janssen from Johnson & Johnson and Sputnik Light, for which the application of one dose is considered complete. Please see the Ministry of Tourism webpage for more information about current entry requirements.
Entry Requirements for unvaccinated and partially vaccinated travelers:
All unvaccinated and partially vaccinated travelers, regardless of age, are required to present a negative RT-PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to entry into Nicaragua. Please see the Ministry of Tourism webpage for more information about current entry requirements.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information regarding COVID-19 and what you can do to reduce your risk.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on gov for the latest information regarding impacts to travel.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Nicaragua.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter .
- Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance. Contact the S. Embassy in Managua, located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fridays. The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACSManagua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171 and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter