Event: The Embassy has directed personnel to avoid celebrations related to the 40th anniversary of the Revolution, July 17-19, including possible vigils July 18 on Simón Bolívar Avenue between Rotunda Hugo Chávez, Plaza de la Revolución, Plaza la Fe Juan Pablo II and the Malecón area; and celebrations July 19 in the same area. Heavy police presence is expected in and around the affected area. In the past, over 200,000 people have attended, and road closures and heavy traffic disruptions are expected in affected areas. Additional demonstrations may occur in Managua or elsewhere in Nicaragua with little or no notice. Please monitor local media for updates, and remember that violence may break out at any demonstration.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations and leave the area immediately if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not participate in demonstrations. Foreigners, including U.S.-Nicaraguan dual nationals, risk arrest or expulsion if they participate in protests.
- Do not attempt to drive through large groups or barricades encountered on the street.
- Monitor local media for updates. Radio Corporacion and Channel 10 can provide the most updated news. Online media including Confidencial, Articulo 66, and La Mesa Redonda are also useful resources.
- Please note the Department of State has issued a Travel Advisory urging U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Nicaragua due to civil unrest, violent crime, and limited healthcare availability.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Managua, located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fridays. The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACS.Managua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171 and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter