Event: On Sunday, November 7, Nicaragua will hold national elections throughout the country. We anticipate a large presence of security forces throughout the country that weekend, including an increased number of police checkpoints. Large gatherings may occur that could disrupt normal traffic patterns or create other unforeseen complications.
Out of an abundance of caution, the U.S. Embassy will be restricting some movement for our personnel, including prohibiting travel outside of Managua, beginning Friday, November 5 through at least Sunday, November 7.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations or large gatherings and leave the area immediately if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not participate in demonstrations. Foreigners, including U.S.-Nicaraguan dual nationals, risk arrest or expulsion if they participate in protests. The Nicaraguan Government may treat dual nationals as only Nicaraguan citizens, in which case the Embassy may not be notified or granted consular access.
- Do not attempt to drive through large groups or barricades encountered on the street.
- Ensure you have an adequate supply of food and water in the event of disruptions.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Please note the Department of State has issued a Travel Advisory urging U.S. citizens not to travel to Nicaragua due to COVID-19 and urging citizens reconsider travel due to limited healthcare availability and arbitrary enforcement of laws.
- Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance. Contact the U.S. Embassy in Managua, located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fridays. The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACSManagua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171 and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter