Alert for U.S. Citizens: Festival of Santo Domingo Events
U.S. Embassy in Nicaragua
Alert for U.S. Citizens
July 27, 2023
Location: Managua, Nicaragua
Event: Gatherings related to the annual Festival of Santo Domingo, celebrating the patron saint of Managua, will take place on various dates between July 31 and August 10. These events will primarily be focused in Managua’s Santo Domingo neighborhood and surrounding areas andmay involve traffic interruptions, roadblocks, fireworks, and an increased police presence. While the activities are expected to remain peaceful, you should use caution while moving about Managua during these dates, avoid large crowds, and remain vigilant. Additional gatherings may occur that could disrupt normal traffic patterns or create other unforeseen complications.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations or large gatherings and leave the area immediately if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not participate in demonstrations. Foreigners, including U.S.-Nicaraguan dual nationals, risk arrest or expulsion if they participate in protests. The Nicaraguan government may treat dual nationals as only Nicaraguan citizens, in which case the U.S. Embassy may not be notified or granted consular access.
- Do not attempt to drive through large groups or barricades encountered on the street.
- Ensure you have an adequate supply of food and water in the event of disruptions.
- Monitor local media for updates.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Managua, located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Fridays.
- The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACSManagua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171 and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.