Event: The Embassy has directed personnel to avoid the Masaya Highway Saturday, July 6 due to the FSLN’s annual Repliegue procession. The Repliegue is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m. with a rally at Plaza de Las Victorias and end in the early afternoon with another rally in Masaya. Expect major traffic congestion and a large police presence. In previous years, the police have closed intersections in rolling mile-long sections as the procession moves. The Masaya Highway will be closed in both directions as the procession moves towards Masaya.
The Embassy has also directed personnel not to use the Hilton or Intercontinental Hotels in Managua between noon on July 5 and noon on July 6 due to a possible gathering of procession participants in the vicinity of Plaza de Las Victorias.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstrations and leave the area immediately if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Do not participate in demonstrations. Foreigners, including U.S.-Nicaraguan dual nationals, risk arrest or expulsion if they participate in protests.
- Do not attempt to drive through large groups or barricades encountered on the street.
- Monitor local media for updates. Radio Corporacion and Channel 10 can provide the most updated news. Online media including Confidencial, Articulo 66, and La Mesa Redonda are also useful resources.
- Please note the Department of State has issued a Travel Advisory urging U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Nicaragua due to civil unrest, violent crime, and limited healthcare availability.
Please follow the links or call the numbers below for consular assistance.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Managua, located at Km 5 ½ C. Sur Managua, Nicaragua, by calling +505-2252-7104, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 7:15 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Fridays. The American Citizen Services unit is also available by email during regular business hours at ACS.Managua@state.gov. For after-hours emergencies, call +505-2252-7171 and ask for the Embassy Duty Officer.
- Nicaragua Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter